From OpenProp wiki
Welcome to the OpenProp wiki. Here you will find free software for designing optimized marine propulsors or axial-flow turbines. This software is coded as a suite of m-files, so it does require MATLAB. Some parts may work on Octave, an open-source alternative.
- OpenProp codes are released under the GNU General Public License.
- By downloading the software you agree to abide by the GPL conditions.
The most important conditions are:
- You may copy, modify and redistribute OpenProp codes or modifications freely.
- Any such redistributions must be done under the terms of the GPL, else the permission is withdrawn.
If you use OpenProp in your work, please use the following citations.
Regarding general use of the code, please cite:
- R.W. Kimball and B.P. Epps, "OpenProp v2.4 propeller/turbine design code," http://openprop.mit.edu, 2010.
Regarding the theory implemented in the code, please cite:
- B.P. Epps, "OpenProp v2.4 Theory Document," MIT Department of Mechanical Engineering Technical Report, December 2010.
Research Projects and References
- B.P. Epps, OpenProp v2.4 Theory Document, MIT Department of Mechanical Engineering Technical Report, December 2010. PDF
most recent listed first:
- B.P. Epps, OpenProp v2.3 Theory Document, MIT Department of Mechanical Engineering Technical Report, March 2010. PDF
- B. Epps, J. Ketcham, and C. Chryssostomidis, Propeller blade stress estimates using lifting line theory, Grand Challenges in Modeling and Simulation Conference, 2010. PDF
- J. Ketcham, Design, Build and Test of an Axial Flow Hydrokinetic Turbine with Fatigue Analysis, MS Thesis, 2010. PDF
- B.P. Epps, An impulse framework for hydrodynamic force analysis: fish propulsion, water entry of spheres, and marine propellers, PhD Thesis, MIT, 2010. PDF
- Epps, et. al., OpenProp: an open-source design tool for propellers and turbines, SNAME Propellers and Shafting Conference, 2009. PDF
- Epps, et. al., OpenProp: an open-source parametric design and analysis tool for propellers, Grand Challenges in Modeling and Simulation Conference, 2009. PDF
- Flood, SM Thesis 2009 Propeller performance analysis using lifting line theory.
- Stubblefield, SM Thesis 2008 Numerically based ducted propeller design using vortex lattice lifting line theory.
- Chung, SM Thesis 2007 An enhanced propeller design program based on propeller vortex lattice lifting line theory.
- D'Epagnier, SM Thesis 2007 A computational tool for the rapid design and prototyping of propellers for underwater vehicles.
- Stanway and Stefanov-Wagner, MTS/IEEE OCEANS 2006 Small-diameter ducted contrarotating propulsors for marine robots.